Winter is a coming! The weather has been beautiful lately and fall is definitely here. I love the fall. I love the colors and smells and how the trees take on a new look with the loss of their leaves. Most mornings I go for long walks with Buster and its been neat to see how the canopy of trees above the road are becoming a rainbow above my head. We've gotten a few cold fronts which has left me a bit chilly at night with it dipping in the low 40's. We're in the process of brainstorming ways to keep me warm during the winter months in my little travel trailer. It'll be interesting to see the end result. There has been talk of wrapping the entire trailer in plastic or tar paper and just cutting out holes where the door and windows are. This idea makes me laugh, but who knows, it might just be the answer. In the meantime we are going to cover the windows with plastic and ducktape. Hopefully that will help a bit with the draft. We're also in the process of trying to figure out how to make our kitchen more winter proof. Our neighbor is letting us borrow a small wood burning stove for the winter that he got on craigslist for 8 bucks!
I've been busy around the homestead harvesting veggies, weeding, and drying basil, rosemary, tomatoes, and jalepeneos. I am such a fan of drying. Not only does the food taste delicious after the drying process, but it also allows you to enjoy your food all year round. I have decided when I return home, I will most definitely be investing in a dehydrator.I know that I seem to discuss my love of bugs quite a bit, but lets me honest, they are awesome! The yellow swallow tail worms are living on a large patch of our carrots right now and they eat so fast, its pretty incredible. Take a look at the video. Its pretty cool.
The other day I was over at Cherrie's and we harvested a couple of the sweet potatoes. We just wanted to peek at them but ended up harvested more than we thought. One of the plants we dug up produced this odd looking sweet potato that unfortunantly looks a bit like a fetus. Weird. I wanted to share it with you. :)
Oh and I also learned to milk a goat in the last couple of months. It was a pretty exciting experience. It was also quite early in the morning so I don't really look quite awake yet in the picture. 


No comments:
Post a Comment