Monday, September 6, 2010

What? I've been here for six weeks!!


Harvesting edamame at Pickards
Oh man, I feel like it has truly been a while since i've written anything on here or updated my thoughts. I have recently been busier than I thought and therefore have not been writing. It has been on my list of things to do, but of course, its been pushed back several times.

It truly feels like I have been here more than six weeks. I feel like I have already experienced so much and learned so much about gardening and my reasons for being here. Two days ago we went to the neighbors at Pickards Eco Insititute and helped them harvest edamame (soy beans) for the whole day! It was so much fun! We harvested at least 50 plants and then blanched and shelled the beans. My hands were all pruning by the end of the day, but we were sent home with 4 bags full of delicious nutty edamame.

Things have truly been going great! I love my job at Weaverstreet Market and the people I work with. I bring home so much free food that my farm people have also benefited greatly from the new job. Right now we're in the process of planting for the fall and its going well. We just planted spinach, lettuce, carrots, swiss chard, kale, dill, beets, turnips, and radishes. We've been harvesting cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, jalepenoes, okra and yellow squash. Our summer squash is still producing which has been really great. We are getting our green house ready for the winter and were going to plant new crops in there the other day when we realized that there were already beets and bock choy growing in there voluntarily. I'm not very good at remembering to take pictures around the garden when i'm working, so I had Matt follow me around for a bit while I "worked" (ok I might of just posed for a couple of the pictures...but you get the idea).

Chopping up weeds to go into the compost bin. I love using the machete!

Tending to the winter squash plants

My computer and camera are both acting weird and not letting me post anymore pictures. So I'm going to fix the problem hopefully in the next couple of days and post more pictures. Its been really great having the opportunity to work outside everyday and learn through doing! I've recently discovered a new hobby and will leave you with a picture of the shirt I embroidered. It is very easy and makes me feel crafty. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love, love the shirt.
Love, love you.