So once again, not really good at actually finishing these things..this was started Tuesday :)
Ok avid readers (I think I may be up to 3 now!), I know I promised the next 12 things i've learned, but I think that might be rushing things. I'm going to simply touch on 13 and 14 in this post and see where it takes me.
So this morning I woke up needing a toothbrush pretty badly. I'de left mine at Katie's house and it was going on two days of not brushing...so I popped on over to CVS and decided to try something new and got an electric toothbrush! So....
13. I love electric toothbrushes. For those of you that know me, I'm a pretty simple girl. I don't need much. Well, I've just discovered, I need this toothbrush! I use to hate brushing my teeth. Oh my goodness, not anymore! its a treat indeed. My teeth feel so incredibly clean...i'm in awe!
So to continue, on my drive back home down 12th street, I saw this really neatly painted fence. I recently bought a sweet camera from my little sister and haven't been able to try it out. My friend recently borrowed it for her trip to Europe and came back with beautiful pictures so I was super eager to try it out myself. Anyhoo, I made plans to come back to the fence and take pictures.
Let me rewind just a bit (don't worry, this is all leading up to number 14). This morning at around 7:30, my Mom called me and wanted me to call one of her old students. Apparently, she had called my Mom this morning and was upset and needing to talk, so my Mom passed the torch to me. I was actually really excited about calling her and meeting up with her. We talked on the phone in the morning, but didn't end up seeing each other. Although I was slighty dissapointed, I was excited for the opportunity to pray for her. What a blessing it can be to get outside of ourselves and pray for others. I've done a really good job lately of feeling sorry for myself and playing the "me" card. It also reminded me of the numerous people I have in my life right now whom I love that I need to be more consistent with. People in my life who are struggling, or in new places, or my girls and all their situations. So that was my first neat moment of the day.
Now, back to the fence. So around noon I pulled into the area of 12th st where I saw the fence. Its located right before Chicon St. which is known for being pretty shady. I got out and started taking pictures with my camera. This old man came up to me and started talking to me about my camera and the fence. He then led me around the side and told me I should come in and look around. Looking at the situation now, that might not of been the wisest situation, but my gut was really pulling me forward giving me complete peace about the whole situation. I walked in this backyard where there were picnic tables everywhere and bible verses painted on the inside of the fence (the same fence that drew me there in the first place!) Turns out, the place I randomly stumbled upon is a woman's house who use to be homeless who know feeds the homeless out of her house and her own pocket as her calling; her ministry in life. I stayed for about an hour talking to the other woman inside Elle who is a serious soldier for the Lord and also use to be homeless. It was such an amazing and unexpected moment; it took my breath away!
I have been praying for a while about where I belong here in Austin and what i'm really called to. Last year I found myself praying for similar things and was drawn to a homeless shelter in Huntsville where I would hangout on Fridays. The Lord continues to put the homeless community on my heart and in my path (this is not a coincidence my friend) Anyhoo, I asked Elle if i could come back and hangout sometime and she said that would be really great. I'm really pumped to see where this new relationship goes....so
14. God can use things as insignicant as a fence to show his love, power and plan!
I felt truly blessed to witness his work in action and getting to play a small role in it. The rest of the day was spent enjoying his creation and hanging out with my favorite nephew dog Jack (Charlie's my favorite niece dog Jane).
Two things I learned and/or rediscovered in one day! I'd say thats pretty darn goood, don't ya think?
PS-reading back over this I realize the complete randomness of my thoughts, but I think thats a pretty good representation of me, so I think i'll leave it.
1 comment:
oh meg how i love you
i just love this post
and i cant wait to experience things like this with you when iam back soon!!!
Post a Comment