Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Beginning of Things...


So here I am writing my first post on my blog I meant to start a year ago, but I guess its better late than never. I meant this blog to be a place I could write all my random thoughts (hense the name pepperthecow. I shall explain that on a later date), but i'm now hoping this will take on something that has purpose and meaning to not only me, but to those who read it.

There are a million things I want to write about in this first post. I want to sum up my last year, what I did, what I learned. But I also want to explain my journey thus far in Austin and how thats shaped up, but more simply, I want to discuss the last couple of weeks in great detail...i'm overwhelmed. So many things are just flooding me at this moment. I remind myself that there is no schedule or deadline I have to follow. I can write what I want, when I want. So with that in mind, here goes....

I love working with my hands. There is something so simple and rewarding when we create and give purpose to our fingers! I think i've always been that way. From climbing trees to writing to using a hammer; it all makes me happy and feel accomplished! Since moving to Austin, I've been looking for places to which I can expand my interests and feel a sense of belonging. Well folks, I have certaintly found my place for the time being. I enrolled in a pottery class and had my first class last night. I'm pretty sure that I had a huge goofy grin on my face throughout the entire 3 hour class, even while we were cleaning up for the night. Not only did I get to work with my hands, I got so messy and had clay all over me; head to toe! uhh simply heavenly!! I'm so excited to see where this new hobby takes me and the things it will teach me. Molding and sculpting and forming the clay last night made me think of Isaiah 64:8

Yet, O Lord you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand.

That verse now just seems to come alive! (Ok I may be getting a bit ahead of myself. I know, only one class and suddenly i'm an expert) But sitting there at the wheel, I realized I had the ability to create something out of this lump of clay. With each gentle movement of my hand, it changed shapes, taking on different forms. I love imagining God with his millions of lumps of clay diligently working on creating masterpieces. I pray that as this new adventure of mine continues, that God continues to reveal himself to me in new and exciting ways and that I learn to let go and embrace my lumpiness (ok maybe thats funnier in my head). Till next time...

No comments: