Then again today a similar thing happened. I was at the hospital with one of my kiddos from work and we were playing with the therapy dogs. I saw this beautiful old golden retriever and asked its name. It was Mandy. Again, I had to hold back a flood. Growing up we had a golden retriever named Mandy. I'm all for remembering the good times, but this is getting ridiculous! My senses seem to be on overload.
In both of these moments, I apart of me wanted to return to those memories and simply be. As I was thinking about this, a new song I’ve been listening to lately popped in my head.
Painting Pictures of Egypt
Sara Groves
I don't want to leave here
I don't want to stay
It feels like pinching to me
Either way
And the places I long for the most
Are the places where I've been
They are calling out to me
Like a long lost friend
It's not about losing faith
It's not about trust
It's all about comfortable
When you move so much
And the place I was wasn't perfect
But I had found a way to live
And it wasn't milk or honey
But then neither is this
But then neither is this
I've been painting pictures of Egypt,
I've been leaving out what it lacks
The future feels so hard,
And I wanna go back!
But the places that used to fit me,
Cannot hold the things I've learned
Those roads were closed off to me
While my back was turned!
The past is so tangible
I know it by heart
Familiar things are never easy
To discard
I was dying for some freedom
But now I hesitate to go
I am caught between the Promise
And the things I know
If it comes to quick
I may not appreciate it
Is that the reason behind all
this time and sand?
I look back on things quite often. The reasons why, the things I learned and sometimes the desire to return to past places. Although I feel more settled with each passing day here in Austin, I know there will still be moments of longing for "what once was" or at least the feelings associated with such events. But then I think how great it is to have such sweet moments in my life. Moments that were so tender and full of love. I'm happy that every now and then I can have those moments of remembrance, and intertwine my past and present journeys. Pretty cool.
1 comment:
oh Nostalgia. You're so artistic with words. And the lyrics to that song. One of my favorite in a past season of mine. You have a way of intertwining and orchestrating words, pictures, songs, life, together seamlessly. You reflect God in the most obscure ways. Thank you.
Post a Comment