Friday, July 23, 2010

Rapids, Bluegrass and Bagels, Oh my!

Ahhh sigh. Well the last 24 hours have been pretty great. I left early yesterday morning from Birmingham and headed towards my beloved Asheville. I wanted to be able to drive through the beautiful mountains and forests of the region so I decided to take the long route. And boy am I glad I did! I've taken this particular road before, but not in this season. I drove for hours with the windows down listening to the water and rapids to the right of the road. I took a break midway through the drive and walked down to the water and it was amazing how much cold air was coming off the water! It was chilly and it's July. I love this part of the country!!

I arrived to Asheville and was excited about doing a little bit of hiking before checking into the hostel. I'm pretty sure it was the altitude (ok I'm out of shape) but the hike I tried to conquer, conquered me! Even though the area I am moving to isn't directly in the mountains, I hope to improve my skills in the hiking department. I ended my great day listening to live bluegrass music for several hours at a pub. I was hoping for some true North Carolina blue grass music and I was not disappointed! Who could ask for anymore??

And to top it all off, I'm sitting at my favorite bakery in Asheville and once again ate the most delicious bagel! JalapeƱo cheddar. Perfection.

Something I've been thinking about the last couple of days are my goals for this next season (This is something I've been thinking about off and on, but due to a great conversation I had with Lyndsay and Laken, it's more present in my thoughts) I have several goals for myself for the upcoming fall:

1. Have a better understanding for how my work on the homestead plays into the bigger picture. This may just be a great experience that I learn cool things from, and life takes me in a different direction. Or it could possibly be the beginning of a huge life change. We shall see...

2. Yesterday when I was attempting to hike I kept thinking about how I am so out of shape physically. Which then got me to thinking how I'm also so very much out of shape spiritually. I want to make time to spend with the Lord in a more proactive way. To be more present with him. Which leads into my 3rd goal: writing

3. I want to be more active in my writing. Not just through blogging, but journaling as well.

Ok this is very long so i'll wrap it up for now. Next post will be from the farm!

No comments: